Use Smart Fill to help automate data entry in Google Sheets
We’re launching Smart Fill for Google Sheets, which detects and learns patterns between columns to intelligently autocomplete data entry.
For example, if you have a column of full names, you may want to split it into a column with first names and a column with last names. As you start typing first names into a column, Sheets will automatically look for patterns. If Sheets detects a pattern, it will generate the corresponding formula, and then autocomplete the rest of the column for you.
We previously announced that Smart Fill for Sheets was coming soon. See more details below.
Why it’s important
We hope that Smart Fill will make it easier to prepare and use data in Sheets. Similar to how Smart Compose in Gmail helps you write faster with fewer mistakes, Smart Fill makes data entry quicker and less prone to error.
We also recently launched Sheets Smart Cleanup, which uses similar intelligence to help prepare and analyze data in Sheets. By adding new, intelligent features to help automate data preparation and analysis, we hope to empower all users to harness the power of data and quickly make data-backed decisions.
In addition to using data that’s in a sheet, Smart Fill can also use data from Google’s Knowledge Graph. For example, it can use public data to autocomplete a list of countries where a list of cities are located.
For Enterprise Plus customers, it can also use information from your company’s people Directory to autocomplete data. For example, it can use organization-only data to fill in email addresses for company employees.
- Admins: Smart Fill will be ON by default for users. There is no admin control for this feature. Visit the Help Center to learn how to manage information in your company’s directory.
- End users: This feature will be ON by default. Visit the Help Center to learn how to use Smart Fill or turn it off for your account.
- Rapid Release domains: Extended rollout (potentially longer than 15 days for feature visibility) starting on October 15, 2020
- Scheduled Release domains: Extended rollout (potentially longer than 15 days for feature visibility) starting on November 5, 2020
- Smartfill is available to Essentials, Business Starter, Business Standard, Business Plus, Enterprise Essentials, Enterprise Standard, Enterprise Plus, Education, Enterprise for Education, and Nonprofits customers, and users with personal Google Accounts
- Smartfill integration with people directory is only available to Enterprise Plus customers.
- This feature was listed as an upcoming release.
Related Google News:
- Scaling deep retrieval with TensorFlow Recommenders and Vertex AI Matching Engine May 1, 2023
- Unleash your Google Cloud data with ThoughtSpot, Looker, and BigQuery May 1, 2023
- Track, Trace and Triumph: How Utah Division of Wildlife Resources is harnessing Google Cloud to… May 1, 2023
- Seeing the World: Vertex AI Vision Developer Toolkit May 1, 2023
- BBC: Keeping up with a busy news day with an end-to-end serverless architecture May 1, 2023
- Scalable electronic trading on Google Cloud: A business case with BidFX May 1, 2023
- Google Cloud and Equinix: Building Excellence in ML Operations (MLOps) May 1, 2023
- Google Docs can make a table of contents for you — here’s how May 1, 2023
October 15, 2020
Apps / Google
This website is not part of the Google website or Google LLC. Additionally, this site is not endorsed by Google in any way. Google is a trademark of Google LLC.