Recruiting talent is a talent
Reading time: 2 minutes
Interviewing candidates for a position in your agency is a lot like speed dating. It can be interesting, and exciting, and a little awkward, but while you only have a few short minutes to get to know one another, when you meet the right person it can be the start of a great (working) relationship.
Preparing for those few minutes is crucial, that’s why we’ve put together some helpful advice and tips to help you get ready.
Before the interview
Before the interview
Be detailed in your job description: The more specific you are, the more qualified your candidates will be. If you’re vague, you risk creating work for yourself as you sift through hundreds of unsuitable applications.
Screen with phone interviews: This is a great time-saver for you and your applicants. It gives you the chance early on to narrow down your selects and save them some disappointment as well.
On the day
Ask interesting questions: If you ask every candidate where they see themselves in five years or what three words their friends would use to describe them, you’ll be burnt out listening to answers before lunchtime. Ask questions that keep candidates on their toes so you’ll see their true self, not their rehearsed answers.
Sell yourselves: An interview is as much about a candidate deciding if they want to work for you. Make sure you discuss potential career progression, benefits, work-life balance etc. to make the position more appealing.
Be open minded: It’s important to choose someone who meshes with your company culture. Take the time to show candidates around and introduce them to some of the team to help them get a feel for the place and see if they feel at home.
Be respectful: Even if you choose not to hire a candidate, remember they still took time out of their day to come to the interview. Let them know if they didn’t get the job and offer honest feedback. Just because they’re not right for the job now doesn’t mean they won’t be later on. And who knows? They might be interviewing you someday.
If you’d like to learn more about perfecting the interview process, check out our helpful video below:
Related Google News:
- Cloud CISO Perspectives: Late April 2023 April 28, 2023
- Google named a Leader in Forrester Wave™ IaaS Platform Native Security April 26, 2023
- Effective strategies to closing the data-value gap March 23, 2023
- Proven Here First: ManTech Leads the Way to Google Workspace March 22, 2023
- Reimagining computer science education with CourseMatix March 9, 2023
- How one ecommerce leader supports 3x growth with Google Cloud March 9, 2023
- Modernized workforce development solutions for our evolving world February 9, 2023
- Collaborating effectively in government with Google Workspace January 6, 2023
July 18, 2018
Ads / Google
This website is not part of the Google website or Google LLC. Additionally, this site is not endorsed by Google in any way. Google is a trademark of Google LLC.