Introducing data protection insights reports
We’re creating reports with recommendations that will help customers proactively understand and protect sensitive content. The reports will show:
- How many files in your organization contain sensitive information.
- How many sensitive files in your organization have been shared externally.
- Insights into the type of sensitive information (e.g. credit card numbers, social security numbers, etc.) in those files.
Note that a report will be proactively generated for Business Standard, Business Plus, Enterprise Essentials, Enterprise Standard, and Enterprise Plus customers on a periodic basis. They do not require any Data Loss Prevention (DLP) rules to be set up in the Admin console. You can turn off the report by going to Admin console > Data Protection > Data protection insights.
An example of a Data Protection insight report
Why it matters
Protecting your company’s confidential data is critical. DLP supports this by giving you control over what users can share, and helps prevent the unintended exposure of sensitive information.
These new reports will help you understand what sensitive information is stored in your organization, and can help you make more informed decisions to protect it. For customers new to DLP, a report can help you identify the types of sensitive content, such as credit card numbers and tax IDs, that you might want to prioritize establishing DLP policies for. For customers already using DLP, a report can help you identify data types that you may not have authored DLP policies for.
Enterprise Standard and Enterprise Plus customers also have access to Google Workspace’s DLP systems, which can make it easier to implement chosen DLP policies and create alerts for ongoing monitoring of issues identified in the report.
- Reports will be produced periodically. When they’re created, links to the report will be sent by email, and an alert will be shown in the Admin console. You can also find the report in the Admin console at Security > Data protection.
- Reports will only be accessible by super admins and other admins with the View DLP rule privilege.
- You can turn off the report by going to Admin console > Data Protection > Data protection insights.
- Visit our Help Center to learn more about managing DLP insights reports.
- End users: No end user impact.
An email which helps admins find and use the report
- Rapid and Scheduled Release domains: Extended rollout (potentially longer than 15 days for feature visibility)] starting on October 21, 2020
- Available to Available to Business Standard, Business Plus, Enterprise Essentials (domain verified), Enterprise Standard, and Enterprise Plus customers
- Not available Available to Essentials, Business Starter, Education, Enterprise for Education, and Nonprofits customers
- This feature was listed as an upcoming release.
Related Google News:
- Scaling deep retrieval with TensorFlow Recommenders and Vertex AI Matching Engine May 1, 2023
- Unleash your Google Cloud data with ThoughtSpot, Looker, and BigQuery May 1, 2023
- Track, Trace and Triumph: How Utah Division of Wildlife Resources is harnessing Google Cloud to… May 1, 2023
- Seeing the World: Vertex AI Vision Developer Toolkit May 1, 2023
- BBC: Keeping up with a busy news day with an end-to-end serverless architecture May 1, 2023
- Scalable electronic trading on Google Cloud: A business case with BidFX May 1, 2023
- Google Cloud and Equinix: Building Excellence in ML Operations (MLOps) May 1, 2023
- Effingo: the internal Google copy service moving data at scale May 1, 2023
October 21, 2020
Apps / Google
This website is not part of the Google website or Google LLC. Additionally, this site is not endorsed by Google in any way. Google is a trademark of Google LLC.