BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc. brings PAC-MAN™ to the real world in PAC-MAN GEO™
From the time Google Maps Platform gaming solution was first announced in 2018, game developers from studios of all sizes have been excited by the potential of using it to bring their ideas to life in ways never before possible. With worldwide coverage of hundreds of millions of 3D building geometries and urban settings like parks and roads made available as objects in Unity, the potential for building games in and with the real world has sparked the creativity of game developers to do everything from creating new location-based games to reimagining existing gameplay patterns and properties.
One of these reimaginings was PAC-MAN GEO, which was shown as a demo by BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc. and BANDAI NAMCO Research Inc. at Game Developers Conference 2019. The demo has been wildly popular everywhere it has been shown, and now BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc. is launching it as a full-blown game, built with Google Maps Platform, in 170 countries worldwide–just in time for the 40th anniversary of when PAC-MAN first hit the streets. Pre-registration is open (iOS, Android) now with the game set to become available this year, so check it out.
First released on May 22, 1980, PAC-MAN has been a worldwide hit ever since. So when the BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc. team was introduced to the Google Maps Platform gaming solution, it made perfect sense to set PAC-MAN, Blinky, Pinky, Inky, and Clyde loose on the streets of the real world.
“While playing, the player imagines PAC-MAN and the ghosts landing on the city. Players have wanted to play in the real world since the birth of PAC-MAN,” said Hirofumi Motoyama, Creative Director from BANDAI NAMCO Research Inc.
To see everything the Google Maps Platform gaming solution has to offer and start building your own real-world game, check out the documentation.
For more information on Google Maps Platform, visit our website.
PAC-MAN GEO™ & © BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc.
PAC-MAN™ & © BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc.
Related Google News:
- Scaling deep retrieval with TensorFlow Recommenders and Vertex AI Matching Engine May 1, 2023
- Unleash your Google Cloud data with ThoughtSpot, Looker, and BigQuery May 1, 2023
- Track, Trace and Triumph: How Utah Division of Wildlife Resources is harnessing Google Cloud to… May 1, 2023
- Seeing the World: Vertex AI Vision Developer Toolkit May 1, 2023
- BBC: Keeping up with a busy news day with an end-to-end serverless architecture May 1, 2023
- Scalable electronic trading on Google Cloud: A business case with BidFX May 1, 2023
- Google Cloud and Equinix: Building Excellence in ML Operations (MLOps) May 1, 2023
- Effingo: the internal Google copy service moving data at scale May 1, 2023